Voting

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Miniature Nativity

I finally finished my nativity featuring miniature hand-sculpted figurines. I absolutely love the challenge of creating miniatures with as much realistic detail as possible. I've got more projects planned, but I wanted to post a photo of this one here.
Polymer clay is good and bad. On the good side, it's easy to sculpt. On the bad side, it's hard to sculpt small details when it gets mushy. Just handling it can put a dent in it sometimes. So the challenge is not just the detail but the medium used. There are firmer clays which would better hold shape while working with it that I might check into.






A safety hint for polymer clay users ready to bake an item--Set your project on a small oven safe tray and enclose the whole thing in a sealed oven roasting bag. That way you won't release polymer fumes in your oven and kitchen. And--don't use any utensils or pans for food after using with your polymer clay.

No comments:

Post a Comment